Saturday, December 22, 2007

Jews on Shabbat

So, this is what I love about Jews in America.

As I was driving downtown to meet Jason for dessert and a movie, I happened to glance over at the car to my right. (I was waiting for the light, please don't think I take my eyes off the road while I drive, I'm not my mother.) Anyway, there in that Volvo's front seat was a man wearing a kippah. There would be nothing abnormal about this, except that it was 7:15pm, and the sun was most definitely down. On a Friday.

So, I'm just assuming he was driving home from Shabbat services. Which I could totally understand. I fully realize that it is nearly impossible to keep all the commandments, and the rules were written at a time when traveling more then a few hundred feet during the course of a day was unheard of.

But here is the kicker. He turned into the parking lot of a mediocre fast food restaurant. Burrito Bowl for Shabbat dinner, anyone?

No comments: