Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Ballad of Billy the Kid

I am a big fan of Billy Joel. I grew up on Long Island (that's part of NY for those geographically challenged folks,) and as such, I have a love of Mr. Joel similar to those from New Jersey having a built in love for Bruce Springsteen.

(Joke time : Why are New Yorker's afraid of the light at the end of the tunnel? Scroll down for the answer.)

Anyway, I was listening to BJ today, as I often do while I am driving. Okay, I wasn't as much listening as I was singing along with him at the top of my lungs with the windows down. Anyway, I was at a traffic light, and some little kid in a new BMW (man, I love Potomac), pulls up next to me. Oblivious to how loud I was actually singing, the kid screams over to me to shut up. More precisely, his exact words were, "Dude, shut the !)$& up!". When I finally did, the snot nosed brat (although, he was quite the cutie) asked me if I was singing the new Maroon 5 song.

I was in shock. I calmed responded, "no, its Billy Joel." He gave a quizzical look, shrugged, and drove off.

I'm hoping he just didn't hear what I said, as opposed to the more detrimental explanation, which is that he had no idea who Billy Joel was. If it was the former, so be it. If it was the latter, then I'm just feeling old. WAY old.

Then again, I guess I shouldn't feel too old. At least I knew who Maroon 5 was.

This exchange does beg the question: "How do you quantify what makes someone an oldie?" Is it 10 years after their last hit album? Is it after they have been on the music scene for more then 30 years? Is it when their music is used in a movie? Or becomes the #1 hit of elevators? Is Madonna an oldie? Is Billy Joel for that matter?

That kid needs a lesson in musical history. I wonder if he knew who the beatles were.

I believe in varied musical tastes, and I believe in knowing musical influences beyond the current top 10.

The answer to the joke, by the way, is "because its New Jersey." Billy Joel over Bruce Springsteen. Any day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hhmmm, I can't say that I agree with the whole Billy Joel vs. Springsteen thing as I like both. I have seen both live and I would have to say Springsteen has more energy at his shows, plus they last forever. That being said, I have owned more Billy Joel albums.

Still, Springsteen is willing to comment about a certain idiot President and his disaster of an administration. He gets lots of points for that.

Seth Marc said...

See above. I commented on said idiot president as well :)