Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Career Change?

So, as I was driving home today, I starting thinking about what I want to do with my life. I'm 30, I should have some clue, right?

I've always loved higher education. Having been involved in it for over 10 years now, there is nothing quite like working with the students, or telling a first-generation student they are going to college, or working with brilliant minds to develop theories. And, I'm getting heavily involved in national issues relating to transfer issues, not to mention a statewide speaker and consultant on transfer access and programming. In all, I find it comforting, challenging, and a thrill. But is it what I want to do with the rest of my life?

I had a big event on campus today; another conference for 200 people, including a few Maryland delegates, the Board of Regents, campus presidents, etc. It was so fun, exciting almost, to plan, organize and execute the event. It makes me think I should be an event planner. (Which would fit into my dream of owning a restaurant or catering company or something.)

Then, at the same time, I've become enthralled with graphic design. I've taught myself web layout, html, java, flash, not to mention design, typography, etc. I enjoy the creative side of this, not to mention my annoying attention to details and simple, clean layout.

So, how do I combine higher education, event planning, and graphic design into one career? If anyone has the answer, let me know.

No comments: